A History of Conway's First Baptist Church 

The First Baptist Church of Conway had a simple beginning. In 1866 a small group of believers met, probably in a schoolhouse that once stood on Fifth Avenue of Conwayborough. Only ten people were present, but from this small number the church began.

The early years were marked by slow growth; however, in 1876 A Sunday School was begun. In the same year, William Burroughs deeded to the church an acre of land on which a small wooden building was built. In the early 1900’s the old wooden church was moved back and converted into a parsonage, and a brick church was erected and dedicated in 1911. The present sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 1951. The educational wings were added in 1939 and 1960.

The late forties and early fifties were important years in the history of our church, for it was during these years that First Baptist Church helped in establishing four mission churches: Homewood, Jamestown, Langston Heights, and North Conway.

The first fully constituted church was Homewood, begun in 1945. The next of the four was Jamestown, established in 1948. Another of the mission churches, Langston Mission, became Langston Heights Baptist Church in 1953. A later mission established at North Conway became a church in 1956.

Together we learn. The first Baptist Church of today provides a program of activities that nurture the whole Christian. A well-organized Sunday School has become established and is augmented by Sunday night classes and other Bible study groups throughout the week, allowing members numerous opportunities to “grow in wisdom, statue, and in favor with God and man.”

Together we praise God in song. There is a complete music program in place, including a full Chancel Choir along with additional choirs for all ages as well as hand bell groups.  For those who prefer more contemporary music, there are vocal and instrumental bands that provide music for the contemporary service. 

Together we serve. The members of the First Baptist Church have always given priority to missions.  Through prayer and through gifts they have supported missions at home and around the world.  In recent years members of the church have participated in foreign mission efforts in Brazil, Kenya, Morocco, Guatemala, Chile, Guyana,  Benin, Indonesia, Taiwan, Trinidad, Russia, and Afghanistan.  Youth groups have participated in mission trips to Connecticut, North Carolina, and Georgia; and family groups have gone to West Virginia.  Church members have also volunteered to participate in “hands on” missions in our community. 

Celebrating Christ by proclaiming God's love;

providing opportunities for ministry; and

making a difference in people’s lives.

 

Milestones in the History of the First Baptist Church, Conway

1866

Ten charter members met to form Conwayboro Baptist Church, known today as First Baptist Church

 1871-1877

D.K. Bennett, Pastor

1876

Sunday School formed

1876

William Burroughs deeded present site to church

1877

First wooden church building built

1879-1882

W.S. McCaskill, Pastor

1880

Regular Prayer Meeting begun

1883-

T.P. Lyde (or Lide), Jr., Pastor

1890

Woman's Missionary Union (W.M.U.) organized

1887-1891

W.S. McCaskill

1889-1893

J.M. Willoughby, Pastor

1895

T.J. Cobb, Pastor

C.T. Ramsbottom (no positive documentation as pastor)

1899-1900

J.W. Harnley, Pastor

1900

Z.P. Hamilton, Pastor

1901-1904

D.F. Crosland, Pastor

1904-1907

J.L. Shinn, Pastor

1907-1913

W.J. Langston, First full-time pastor

1911

First Brick Church dedicated

1913-1916

T.G. Phillips, Pastor

1914

B.Y.P.U. had begun

1916-1920

D.L. Hill, Pastor

1920-1923

M.W. Gordon, Pastor

1923-1935

M.M. Benson, Pastor

1939

First Educational Building built

1935-1943

W.W. Leathers, Pastor

1940

First Vacation Bible School

1943

First full-time Educational Director

1944-1949

D.H. Daniel, Pastor

1945

Homewood Baptist Church established as our first mission church

1948

Jamestown Baptist Church established

1949-1953

R.L. Deneen, Pastor 

1949

Parsonage built

1953

Langston Heights Church established (from Langston Mission)

1951

Present sanctuary dedicated

1954-1981

S. G. Lovell, Jr., Pastor

1956

North Conway Baptist Church established

1959

First Minister of Music

1960

Sixth Avenue Educational Building built

1960

First Kindergarten

1966

Church Centennial Celebration

1982-1984

James G. Revels, Pastor

1985-1998

J. Anderson Bass, Pastor

1999-2004
Steve Hadden, Pastor

2002

Contemporary Service begun

2006-

Robert W. Guffey, Jr., Pastor           

 
 
603 Elm Street                 Conway, SC 29526                 Phone: 843-248-4067